North to South and back again, from the railway station to the monastery, through ever-busy traffic junctions, tranquil lake shores, dodgy cafes and messy 24 hour shops – the walk through Read Army avenue, the Sergiyev Posad’s main road could easily turn into a chaotic experience.
It took four days to gather audio for this particular walk and it sounded bland and monotonous at first – too much cars passing by and not too much going on around but then… There’s no guide this time, no voices apart from those of the strangers, so let the town speak for itself.
All sounds were gathered in the area. Here are the key non-verbal sounds featured in this recording:
- “…he said he shaved his beard off here in Sergiyev Posad”, a bypasser’s remark, chimes @ Trinity-Sergius Monastery (00.00 – 00.20)
- cars getting over the railway crossing @ railway station (00.20 – 01.20)
- vocalist in a cafe @ near Gagarin cultural centre (01.35 – 02.05)
- customers in a shop @ Vorobyovka area (02.10 – 02.35)
- traffic and trains @ overhead road, Klemetyevka area (02.30 – 03.15)
- St Sergius akathistos hymn @ Trinity Church, TSM (03.30 – 05.15)
- level crossing safety transducer @ railway station (05.45 – 06.35)
- street singer, traffic controller via PA @ railway station (07.00 – 07.40)
- grasshoppers, seagulls, bypasser @ Kelarsky pond (07.45 – 08.30)
- ticket offices @ railway station (10.15 – 10.55)
- guest workers @ Severny area (10.55 – 11.25)
- hip hop music from a car passing by @ Severny area (11.25 – 11.35)
- ambience @ railway station (11.30- 12.04)
Recording locations: Red Army avenue
Recording date: June 27, 28, 29, 30th, 2011
Sounds: stereo, binaural stereo
Part of Sergiyev Posad Sound Map.